Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A short update!

Wow, I cannot believe it has been so long between posts. This past week and a half have just whizzed by! So much has happened and is still happening before we know it it will be March! I saw the yogurt had an expiry of mid March today and it took me a little by surprise...wasn't it only Christmas a couple of days ago?
TAFE has started and it is AWESOME!!! I could not believe it on the first night when I showed up and ran into an old friend too! And a class member is actually an acquaintance's father in law! Six degrees I tell you! My class is mostly mature age students and everyone is lovely so far. It has been great to sit in a room and chat with other adults...no one has even asked me if I have children yet, so it has been a child free time in more ways than one! Such a rarity these days...
Of course there has been a lot of coverage on the VIC bush fires. I am finding it hard to comprehend the gravity of it all not being familiar with all the townships and areas that have been burnt down, but I am trying to educate myself so that I can understand more. Of all the things I have heard there are a few stories that are haunting me...I heard a very valid point of view on the news tonight, and that is that while we are all focussed on the numbers and the statistics and the future threats, it is necessary to aknowledge that each of those numbers and each one of those statistics is one family, just like yours and mine, whose lives have been turned upside down. Each one is a story of survival and is filled with an uncertain future. I just wish I could do more.....

No comments: